Student related work authorization options in the US

Student related work authorization options

F-1 CPT OPT STEM OPT Extension
Duration On-campus employment available until F-1 study period ends; off-campus after 1st year through CPT, OPT, STEM OPT No max, but 12-months of full-time CPT eliminates OPT eligibility Max 12 months Max 24 months (may do twice with two qualifying degree programs of different levels)
Dual Intent? N/A N/A N/A N/A
Premium Processing? No No No No
Subject to a Type of Numerical Cap? No No No No
Qualification Threshold Level Very low for on-campus work; very high for off-campus work (special circumstances or severe economic hardship required) Low Low Only available for qualifying majors
Unique Requirements of Conditions Work must be “on-campus”; maximum 20 hours per week when school is in session Maximum of 90 days of unemployment; only available prior to completion of degree program; CPT may not delay completion of academic program One year of full-time (20+ hours per week) CPT eliminates OPT eligibility; part-time is okay, as is less than full-time Employer must be enrolled in E-Verify; must be paid; must complete a training plan; must work a minimum of 20 hours per week; maximum 60 days of unemployment (in addition to the 90 days provided by OPT)
Employer Specific? Just need to make sure the job qualifies as “on-campus employment” Yes, but may have more than one CPT at the same time No, but employment must be directly related to field of study No, but must have standard qualifications and meet regular requirements

Disclaimer: We believe this to be accurate at the time is of its writing, but the laws may change rapidly. We may not always end up getting this webpage updated on a timely basis. Please seek advice of an attorney to obtain the current information.

Have questions about 
Business Immigration
Attract the world’s best talent, legally. Discover the immigration strategy that works for you.
Find out how

Learn more about 

Business Immigration

Common paths for international talent to work in the US

Learn more

Employment paths in the US for citizens of certain countries

Learn more

Green card options for international entrepreneurs and professionals

Learn more
Copyright © 2023 Singleton Law Firm. Website by Jacob Singleton.